What is QMS Classrooms?
Created by DJ Brynteson for the Minnesota Debate Teachers Assocaition (MDTA), QMS Classrooms is a tool to assist debate and
speech coaches around the country run virtual practices and tournaments.
How does it work?
Schools get a login to the QMS Classrooms platform. From there, every school gets five (5) virtual classrooms to use however
they want to use them. Practices, mini-tournaments, team meetings, etc. Simply e-mail me at email@example.com and I'll create
an account for you.
Is this Zoom, Teams, Cisco?
Under the covers it uses Jitsi. The largest open source meeting platform in the world.
Why do I need this? Jitsi if free.
Yep, it is free. The reason for using QMS Classrooms here is a handful:
- Static Rooms: You can share the student password with the team and all you need to tell them is what room you are meeting in.
Need need to share links via e-mail.
- Locked Rooms: The room URLs are encrypted. So people shouldn't just be able to randomly show up in your virtual space.
- Coach and Student Accounts: Coach accounts can turn on/off the lobby support to add even more security to the room.
- Lastly, we will be adding more features along the way.
Does this cost anything?
Nope. The five (5) virtual classrooms are absolutely free. You don't have to be a memeber, buy an expensive resource package,
or do anything else. Again, it's running on Jitsi, and Jitsi is free so why charge anything.
Can I run tournaments with QMS Classrooms?
Yep. We will be detailing how this works in the coming days. Schools that are a member of the MDTA receive this service at no
cost. Non-MDTA schools will pay $1 per rooms / per tournament.
It's Jitsi, why charge anything?
I need to cover the cost of this website and hosting fees. Otherwise, there is no cost. Tournaments should be easy and cheap
to run online. If you have to pay $500 to $4000 per tournament for online fees we did something very wrong in today's world.
Is there Student or Judge Guides?
Yes. We have created two different guides to assist with connecting with and using this service. First we have our Judges Guide
. It details how to connect to a tournament, tab room integration and more. Our second is the Student Guide
to assist students in getting connected to the service.
- Updated to catch if school or institution is blocking meet.jit.si website.
- Added help documents for Judges and Students
- Initial Release: School rooms with single login and basic tournament support.
This is what we are working on:
- Multiple Logins for Schools: Have the ability to have coach and student logins for school accounts.
Coaches will be able to toggle on/off lobby support.
- Better tabroom.com integration and support to run tournaments.
- Tournament Admin page that allows you to jump into any virtual room.